Metal Leaf Intro Techniques
2 Day Workshop | $595
Cincinnati | August 8-9, 2012 | 9am-5pm
Alison Woolley will teach the fundamentals of working with composition, aluminum, and copper leaf, using gold size. It is useful for painters and decorators who wish to incorporate the use of gilded surfaces or add the beauty of real metallic accents in their work. The techniques are simple and quick, but very elegant and effective for adding value to your work.
The class will consist of:
- Application and discussion of the various materials and preparations for wall and furniture decoration with leaf including large flat surfaces like ceilings.
- making samples on wooden moldings and flat boards that each demonstrate a different use of metal leaf.
- creating antique and special effects with various types of glaze, varnish and wax.
- proper finishing techniques for protecting gilded surfaces.
Each student will create 10 or more samples of gilded surfaces. Extra sample panels can be produced according to speed and desire of individual students to explore new techniques under the guidance of the teacher.
Included in the course are:
- molding and sample panels used in class
- 1 book of composition leaf
- 1 book of aluminum leaf
- 1 book of copper leaf
- Detailed notes on the techniques covered in class
Alison is a professional artist and decorator, owner of Florenceart.net, a decorative arts and teaching studio in Florence, Italy.
Alison graduated with honors after winning two scholarships from the Ontario College of Art and Design in Canada. She moved to Florence and worked 15 years under the guidance of Florentine master artisans before opening her own bottega in the heart of the artisan district. Florenceart studio specializes in restoration and the production of fine furniture finishes and decorative art for the interior design industry worldwide.